Tuesday, March 16, 2010

H.O.W. Now

Responsiveness is our battle cry!  We tend to get bogged down in the edit bay, so here's where we get on your requests as expeditiously as possible (I can't help it, like big words-Scrabble freak too).  Check back lots - we'd love to get your take on the questions from the Hands On Nation.


10/28/10 - Hands On Woman Carol:  "Just learned that we can prevent many transmission problems by having our transmission fluid changed periodically.  Wish I had known this."

10/29/10 - The next channel that we want to add to H.O.W. TV is automotive.  Between the way women are typcially treated when it comes to auto maintenance/repairs and the fact that we really can do a bunch of that stuff ourselves, this is a great category for Hands On Women.  In the meantime, this is a pretty informative write up:
How Often Should Automatic Transmission Fluid Be Changed


03/13/10 - Hands On Woman Susie asks:  "I would like advice on buying a hedgetrimmer, tired of the scissor type, too much work. I would also like advice on buying a hand-held steam cleaner- do they really work that well?"

03/16/10 - Well Susie, while we haven't run a product test of the hedge trimmers out there, I can say that we have given the Worx® Hedge Trimmer a workout.  I absolutey loved using it last season.  I'm overdue on the product review of the Worx® yard tools, so I'll get right on that.  You can take a look at the brief demo from the Hardware Show.  It is a really lightweight trimmer and it does a beautiful job.



As to the handheld steam cleaner, in my prior life, I had cause to test every steamer that I could find.  As a caveat, I have to say, this has been about 6 years ago, so some great product may be out there that we haven't tried.  So, steamers are gonna be our first category review.  That being said, I didn't find them particularly effective on cleaning grease (range hoods, grills, etc.), nor was I tickled with less than sparkling results on glass (soap scum or not).  Don't get me wrong - it gets clean, but I didn't find it as effortless as it appears on tv.  I did have great success cleaning the grout on floor in our sun room.  Stuff looked like new!  If disinfecting is your goal, I think this is the way to go.  Now, it's not like I've got a way to test for germs or whatever, but the concept makes sense.  If there any brands that you want us to make sure to try, post it!  Hope this helps, Susie.

1 comment:

  1. Update from Susie - thanks, H.O.W. TV, that was really helpful. I also need a new weedeater & the Worx brand has a deal on getting the hedgetrimmer, weedeater & a blower plus free repalcement spools & they all run on the same battery pack, no more pulling, yeah!

    ReplyDelete